The standard includes performance requirements for colour and retroreflection as well as for the minimum surfaces and for the placement of the materials in protective equipment.
The standard refers to three types based on the foreseeable conditions of use
Equipment to use where the risk of not being seen exists only at daylight conditions. This PPE uses only fluorescent materials.
Equipment to use where the risk of not being seen exists only at dark conditions. Type B is subdivided in 3 levels and uses only retroreflective materials.
- B1 includes free hanging retroreflective devices – designed for movement recognition.
- B2 includes retroreflective devices or materials, either temporarily or permanently placed on the limbs only. They are designed for movement recognition.
- B3 includes retroreflective material placed on torso, designed for form recognition, or retroreflective material placed on torso and limbs designed for form and movement recognition.
Equipment to use where risk of not being seen exists during daylight, twilight and dark conditions. This type AB uses the fluorescent as well as the retro-reflective and/or combined enhanced
Minimum areas of materials (in m²) for types B1 and B2
Minimum area (in m²) of materials incorporated for users with a height range > 140 cm²
|Combined performance material||-||-||0.24|
Visibility from all sides shall be obtained by following placement of fluorescent and/or retroreflective or combined-performance material
- Not less than 40% of the minimum surface of the fluorescent and/or retroreflective material is present on both the front and the back when laid flat.
- Not less than 10% of the minimum surface of the fluorescent and/or retroreflective material is present on both the right and left sides when laid flat.
Performance of the materials
Whereas EN ISO 20471 only refers to fluorescent yellow, fluorescent orange-red and fluorescent red, EN 17353 allows more colours : fluorescent yellow-green ; fluorescent yellow ; fluorescent yellow-orange; fluorescent orange; fluorescent orange-red ; fluorescent red, and fluorescent pink.
The specifications on retroreflective materials for B2,B3,AB2,AB3 are identical to EN ISO 20471. The performance of retroreflective materials for B1 devices are identical as in EN 13356.